Apr 8, 2010

Tikki Tikki Tembo

Tikki Tikki Tembo is a story about how the Chinese used to name their first born sons l  o  n  g names that held great meaning and why that tradition ended.  The story behind it is pretty funny however you may not have enough breath left to laugh after you read Tikki tikki tembo's name multiply times.

I was so EXCITED that I found this book.  I was in the second grade when I first heard this book and we had it read to us enough times that I still have Tikki Tikki Tembo's full name memorized.  I loved this book and for years have looked for it.  All I had to go off of was the name I remembered but I didn't know the spelling and so I had tried to sound it out.  I was wrong on the spelling by A LOT and so never found it until...a walk through Barnes and Noble and I caught this out of the corner of my eye!  At long last I have found this book!

Just because I had this read to me in the second grade does not mean that younger kids won't like it.  My kids are ages two to five and they all like it as well.  The two year old routinely falls asleep while I'm reading it while the other two sit there quietly and listen.  Either reaction is a good reaction in my book.

Arlene Mosel is the woman responsible for this great book!  I am not sure which is more special to me, the book or the memories it brings back.  Regardless, I hope to read this to my kids enough times that they can recite the whole name back when they are my age and that it brings them good memories too. 

For those of you who are planning to read this for the first time I'm going to give you a little help.  Here is how I learned to pronounce Tikki Tikki's name :
Tick-y tick-y tem bow   no sa rem bow   cherry berry ru chee   pip perry pem bow

Enjoy and don't forget about the contest!


No comments:

Post a Comment