Feb 3, 2010

The Recess Queen

I have my daughter and her friends from school to thank for helping me discover this fun little book!  My daughter brought this home the other day from her school library.  I was so excited when I saw the cover.  It looked like a fun book but I didn't dare get my hopes up since the last few books she has gotten have been things like, Discovering Earthworms(did you know that in Africa there are earthworms as long as a human arm and about as big around!), and Why is the Sea Salty.

Tonight for bedtime I sat down and GOT to read this very entertaining book!  I love some of the words that
Alexis O'Neill uses.  The rhythm and the pace of this book is really fun and fast!  Immediately after finishing I found I wanted to read it again.  I loved the concept of a school bully duped by kindness.  It is a very fun story.  Here are some of Alexis' other books: The Worst Best FriendEstela's Swap, and Loud Emily.

Laura Huliska-Beith is the illustrator and her pictures are just as fun and lively as the words!  I am especially a fan of the awesome facial expressions on the kids!  Alexis O'Neill and Laura Huliska-Beith's other joint book venture is The Worst Best Friend...I can't wait to read that as well!

Well I gotta run!  My kids are out of bed, so that means I'm going to have "push 'em and smoosh 'em and lollapaloosh 'em"!  I just hope they don't ask for another bedtime story...cause I'll say "yes" and grab The Recess Queen a little too willingly!

2 comments:

  1. Mattie - What a great way to begin the month of February with your lovely review of my book, THE RECESS QUEEN! Give your daughter a Great Big Hug from me for bringing it home for the library. I love your blog reviews (and not just mine!) Keep up the great work. (P.S. Did you know that the first week in February is Children's Authors & Illustrators Week? Thanks for celebrating this way!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexis-I didn't realize it was Children's Authors & Illustrators Week (thanks for the heads up :)!). I will definitely give my daughter a hug for you and I can't wait to get my hands on your other books!

    ReplyDelete