Feb 19, 2010

Gladys Goes Out to Lunch & Blue Burt and Wiggles


So I noticed a trend recently among books that I was drawn to.  They all had Derek Anderson as the illustrator.  Then I found out that he WRITES and ILLUSTRATES books as well.  Believe me, he writes as well as he illustrates!
Gladys Goes Out to Lunch is about a Gorilla that loves bananas more than Pesto, Pineapple, or Pepperoni Pizza.  She loves bananas more than Fancy French Food like Frozen Mousse.  The real question is....does Gladys love bananas more than Banana Bread?  It is really cute and lively.  My kids laugh every time we get to the end of the book.  (You'll see why if you read it.)  Plus the pictures are so enthralling there really is nothing to hate about this book.  Please read the last page regarding the Banana Bread recipe, it is really funny.  You know I usually don't put books on here that I don't love but there is one thing that I really don't agree with and I feel obligated to impart that...my Banana Bread Recipe is BETTER. (Technically it is not mine, but when my mother-in-law borrows one of my recipes, you KNOW it is good.)

Blue Burt and Wiggles is just as fun.  A creative bird and worm decide they are going to stop winter from coming.  I'm sure you can figure out how that attempt goes but even knowing the ending ahead of time it is still really cute.  It has a great theme of friendship whether you are near or far from the ones you love.  On the last page of the book I was surprised to see Etowah, Tennessee stamped on the suitcase.  My husband has a lot of family in Etowah and it is really small.  I'd NEVER heard of it until I went there.  However, there are a lot of Blue Jays there in the spring so maybe that is why little Blue Burt went there on his travels.  Maybe he was visiting family too!

You can't go wrong with either of these books and your kids will LOVE the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment