Feb 11, 2010

Perfectly Arugula

Anyone out there trying to plan the PERFECT Valentine's Date or Party should read Perfectly Arugula first!

Sarah Dillard is the illustrator for several children's books but this is her debut as a writer and illustrator.  Sarah did an incredible job with the illustrations and the lay out. I just love this book and it makes me long for Springtime because of all the cheery colors.


In a way, this book reminds me of every get together I've ever had.  I'm a bit of a control freak (it's a trait that has been passed down for generations) and I always visualize in my mind just how I want a party to go.  So I plan and I primp and I hypothesize that it is going to go a certain way and people will have a great time and without fail...IT NEVER DOES.  There is always something that seems to go wrong despite my best laid plans.  It is all in how well you can go with the flow, or in Arugula's case (and mine) how great your friends are, that makes it go even BETTER!

Arugula is a character that is hard not to love.  She has her faults, but who doesn't.  My kids were fighting over who got to be Arugula when we read the story (they are into "being" one of the characters in every movie and book we read lately).  My daughter and son tied calling Arugula.  Trying to calm the situation I suggested my son be the squirrel (he looked pretty cool on his skateboard with his hat on backwards).  My son agreed but when we got near the end of the story where the Squirrel showed up at the party, I was in big trouble.
Sydney: Ryan, see, you just ruin everything! 
Ryan:  No I didn't, 'Rugla!
Sydney:  Yes you did, you annoying squirrel!

We finally calmed things down when it was clear that everything would turn out okay.  Except when we read the last little bit about Arugula wanting to try a dinner party my daughter once again added, "But you're not invited SQUIR-rel!"

I guess we'll have to wait and see if there even will be a dinner party.  If so it would be a shame if Fidget, the squirrel, didn't make an appearance.


P.S. Don't miss Arugula's blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment