Oct 8, 2009

Where's My Mummy?

My favorite time of year is here!

In case your wondering what that is exactly, it is OCTOBER.  My birthday month, when leaves start changing and it becomes okay to eat high carb food and snuggle in a blanket, and best of all...Halloween!  In honor of such a joyous occasion I'll be featuring mostly Spooky, Scary, Spectacular books for the rest of the month!  (I just heard a cheer go out among the masses!)


So what do Elephants and Mummies have in common?  They are both afraid of mice!  At least in this spook-tacular book they are.  I know I say all the books I put on here are fabulous but honestly, this one IS!  And to prove it:      
“Manders's appealingly round mummy child
and the text's rhythmic "clank clink clanks"
will find happy audiences.” Kirkus

I recently found out that Kirkus almost never gives great reviews.  So if you get a great review from them, it means something!


The inspired writer is Carolyn Crimi.  Just by reading this book you can tell it was written by a true Halloween expert!  All the classic monsters are present but in a non-threatening, fun way.I love that she not only tells the story but lays out a whole bedtime routine.  I actually used it on my kids the other night.  (Brush your teeth like Bones.  Now let's clean faces like the swamp monster.  Should we clean ears like Drac?)  It is great!  I had just checked this out from the library but will definitely need to buy it since I don't foresee my kids being too happy about returning it in 14 days!  Plus the truth is, I'm as excited to read it at bedtime as they are!  (Partially due to the fact that it isn't too long so I know bedtime will be done with sooner!) Click on her name for more fun books and info!



Mere words can  NOT describe how cool the monsters and scenes in this book are.  They are done by a very talented man named John Manders who has a great web page that you should check out if you want to find more books that he has done.   The illustrations in this book are hilarious!  My absolute favorite is the Vampire in bat pajamas.  It is so comical and cute that I finish reading the page and pause (this is a rare thing for me to do in my life) and look at the picture because it makes me laugh.  
The other day I asked my daughter (she's 5), "Aren't those jammies Cool?"  
She "uh-huh"-ed me. 
I asked, "Did you see those cute bat slippers?"  
She put her little hands on her waist like a put out teenager and said, "Mo-uhm!  Turn the page already.  Huh!"  (Exactly like that.  I'm not exaggerating, just ask anyone that knows Sydney!)


If you need a book that will get you in the Halloween Spirit, grab this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment