Oct 28, 2009

Miss Smith and the Haunted Library

 

Well you all know that I don't have a rating scale per say but if you want an idea of how fun this book is I'll paint you a little picture.
3:40 pm:  I pulled up in front of the library and checked this book out.
3:45 pm:  I pulled into the garage and brought in the above book.  After calming down two of the three crazy kids (the third was glued to Dad's hip and refused to be messed with), I sat down on the couch with these books.
4:00 pm:  I was reading this book for the first time to the oldest two children and thinking to myself that the pictures were amazing.
4:37 pm:  I was begging my husband to go pick up the pizza and I read it again to the littlest one who was finally forced off of Dad's hip.
5:00 pm:  I was reading this very entertaining book for the third time and realizing I was still enjoying it.
7:00 pm:  I read it for the last time today to all three kids who quit fidgeting for the 6.7 minutes it took for me to read the book (some books really need to be longer!).

The good news, I still like it a lot!  Even better news, Ben (aka: Dad, my husband, that guy that lives here) thought it was "fascinating" and he's a much tougher critic than I.  The best news, my kids still wanted to read it even after I said, "No more stories!" (Unlike another story, which shall remain nameless, that I got at the library today as well, after the second reading my five year old proclaimed, "Mom I don't really like that one so much.")

Michael Garland is an amazing artist and author!  At his site you'll find other wonderful books, including two other Miss Smith books, and plenty of fun pictures to view.  Once you've had a look at some of the pictures you'll see why I was so drawn to this book.  The text and story line is very imaginative and fun as well.  Plus at the back of the book you'll find a key to where to find all the best ghosts, ghouls, witches, etc.  Also, it is on the New York Times Children's Book Best Seller List!

No comments:

Post a Comment