May 16, 2010

Mary Had A Little Lamp

I chuckle every time I read this book.  When I first saw it at my daughter's book fair she said, "Oh Mom!  It's Mary Had A Little Lamp!"  She said this in that tone of voice that tells you it is ultra-cool and if you ask "What is that?" you are NOT cool!  So of course I just said, "Oh...COOL!" as she forced it into my hand.  I didn't complain since it was a half-price book fair.  I thumbed through it as I stood in line to pay for my little stack of books.  The pictures were fun and the words seemed sparse enough that even if I didn't like it I figured I could endure reading it multiple times. 

Well it turns out...I love it and tonight I used my Parent Powers.  My kids were all trying to pick out books and I could tell that none of them noticed Mary Had A Little Lamp sitting there.  I gently said, "Since I'm the Mom I say we have to read Mary Had A Little Lamp tonight.  Who wants to sit on my lap while I read it?"  Hehehe.  Then they fought over who GOT to sit on my lap to read it.  I love it when "Mom" tricks work in my favor!

Bob Staake is an incredible illustrator and the pictures are a joy to look at.  Jack Lechner did such an awesome job of turning this boring worn out children's song/rhyme into a comical journey of a girl and her lamp!  I love this so much I want to see a sequel...perhaps one where the lamp and toaster duke it out over Mary! (If you don't know what I'm talking about...go read it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment