Nov 18, 2009

Billy & Milly, Short & Silly


Recently I was informed that my daughter has trouble rhyming.  Can you believe her teacher doesn't think that sock and mop rhyme :)!  At home though she does great.  We read all sorts of rhyming books and she MEMORIZES them and we think she knows how to rhyme.  Well I found this book and got it to help her with rhyming.  What I didn't expect though was that I would enjoy it so much.  It has great rhyming words so that your kids can practice and learn to rhyme but it also has several really funny rhyming stories so it is fun and easy to read to kids.

I think that Eve Feldman did a great job with this book!  I find it incredible that she was able to make stories out of four words or less!  (I dare you to try it...it is incredibly hard.)  If less is more this book is the MOST!  It is wonderful for all ages of kids and especially those just beginning to read who find larger books daunting.  It is wonderful for small kids with short attention spans as well.  I especially like the Tee, Bee, Flee story. 

I think Tuesday Mourning did a great job as well.  I love her illustrations.  She also illustrated another one of my favorite books, Princess Peepers.  Her pictures add even more humor, fun, and color to these short stories.  To see even more of her illustrations click here.

In parting I'd like to extend this invite:

Pick this book, it's just right!
Wrap your kid's up warm and tight.
Read this book and dim the light,
Give 'em hugs and say good night!

Or in other words:  Right  Tight  Light  Night!

I may be no authority on good books but most people consider a positive Kirkus review to mean a lot. Here is that review (see page 4). Here is another post by a fellow blogger about this fantastic book. Last but not least, you can become of fan of Billy and Milly, Short and Silly on Facebook just click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment