Sep 18, 2009

Betsy B. Little

Her classmates all scattered
and started to squawk,
"With those legs and that neck,
just be glad you can walk!"

Do you have any little dancers in your midst? Mine just turned 5 and will use any excuse she can find to dress up herself and all around her and dance. After a full day of dancing my tired little princess loves having me read Betsy B. Little. It is a fun story about an unlikely ballerina who amazes everyone with her persistence and positive attitude.



Anne McEvoy definitely is not lacking in writing experience, she's written plays, and was the senior writer/editor for American Greetings, Inc.. This however, is her first children's book and I hope it won't be her last. I have learned some things about how hard it is to write rhyming stories lately and she does it superbly! I am curious to know how many revisions she had to go through to get her story to rhyme and flow so seamlessly. (But I'm afraid I don't want to be her friend if she is just naturally gifted and only had to write it once through! :)) It has very witty lines. In fact on every page there are lines that make me laugh. I had a really hard time picking which quote from the book to use. There were so many fun ones!



I love the colors and the humorous pictures.
Jacqueline Rogers did a great job of capturing little dancers/princesses hearts. My favorite illustration is...oh I can't decide! I love them all. I even love the bright pink cover with Betsy on it even though I still claim I am more of a tomboy than a girly-girl. If you need a gift for a little girl, buy princess things, and if you are sick of all the princess crap and want to give a more meaningful gift then here's your answer! Betsy B. Little, there are tiara's, tutu's, and lots and lots of pinks and purples (including a purple piano played by Miss Triano).


Please look for this book and read it to your little ones. I hope you will enjoy it as much as they will!

DISCLAIMER: This book is not just for girls. Both of my boys love me reading this to them too. There are lots of other little critters to enjoy and to fascinate young children who have never danced or dressed up before. And I have been informed that no real giraffes were harmed in the making of this story.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review Mattie! These pictures were so fun to paint! I LOVED working on Betsy B!
    I was a ballet drop out, I must admit. Drawing was a better direction... But now, since working on Betsy B, I have decided to start designing elegant evening wear for large animals. hmmmm....maybe i better stick to picture making.
    Jacqueline Rogers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evening wear for large animals huh? Maybe you'll have something elegant that would fit me :)!
    I think you chose right in going with drawing...you are excellent! Thanks for the comment. I'm looking forward to viewing more of your stuff in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the picture! I wonder who's behind that little smiley face??? :)

    Nice job on your blog. It's fun to read your book reviews...it's kind of hard to find good children's books, so this definitely helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't want to post his picture without permission and I kept forgetting to ask. I'd be more than happy to put the unedited picture in there :). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete