Oct 5, 2009

Enchanted Lions

When fine art and exquisite writing collide beautiful accidents like this book result.  Although, I can guarantee that both the author and illustrator will tell you that there was nothing accidental about this book.  Many sleepless nights and hair pulling days went into the making of this I'm sure. (A little birdy told me!)

The reason I love this book most is because it brings back beloved childhood memories.  Growing up my dad used to take my brothers and I out onto our driveway to watch the stars on summer nights.  We lived in an itty-bitty town called Bellevue, Idaho (Idaho not Washington folks!).  There were no real street lights to distract from our crystal clear view of stars, constellations, and satellites.  When I got older I would take a big, warm, blanket and my discman (for those of you unfamiliar with this term, it is a portable CD player) and watch the stars.  I found this was the best remedy for my fragile little teenage heart when it got broken.  I still can't resist pausing outside on warm evenings and staring at the sky.

Just as I can't resist staring at a brilliant sky I can't resist loving this captivating story of Rose and her lion.  It is truly a dreamy book.  David Greenberg is a magnificent author who has written tons of books (Crocs, Skunks, Don't Forget Your Etiquette, Slugs, Snakes to name a few).  I'm personally very fond of Crocs as well (since it too, is read often around our house).


Kristina Swarner is the magnificent illustrator who is responsible for the breathtaking pictures in this book.  I know why they don't have her do more picture books, people don't want to turn the page because they are so captivated by each picture.  I have an irritable side (hard to believe, I KNOW!) and my son always turns back to the page we were just on before I can even finish reading the page I'm currently on.  He will do this the whole story.  I don't blame him.  Each picture deserves special attention.

So grab this book and try not to drift off to a more enchanting place as you read it.  THEN, let me know what you thought of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment